All athletes must have a current physical on file in the MS office before staying for practice/tryout.
NOTE - Schedule can be subject to change due to COVID-19.
UPDATE: Practice times and dates
Monday, August 24: 3:00PM- 5:00PM Stretching, form running, light workout
Tuesday, August 25-Friday, August 28 8:00 AM-10:00AM Regular practice
SHMS Athletic Announcement:
All fall sports practices will begin on August 17 as scheduled. With this decision, there are many changes and adaptations that we will need to make for the fall. Practices will be run beginning at 3:00 and will occur Monday-Fridays. We will have more specific instructions after meeting with coaches.
The district is currently working to provide for bus service for students on their hybrid days away from the school. I stress that this is not a guarantee of bussing, but we are trying. We would ask that if you are able to provide transportation for your athletes on these days that you do so; this will be extremely helpful and increase the likelihood of all students being able to participate in athletics this fall.
Please remember that all athletes must have a physical on file in the MS office before they can attend practice (no exceptions). All athletes must watch the NFHS videos. We would encourage parents to watch them with their child. Here are the links to NFHS:
Once you are into the NFHS page, set up an account. The accounts are free to set up. Be sure to choose the video for Kansas. Once your child has watched the video, the athlete needs to take a screen shot of the screen and send it to his or her head coach or print the certificate and bring it with him or her to the athlete’s first practice/tryout.
Sport specific information will be sent out later this week after I have met with all of the head coaches.
Cross Country Practice Rules and Expectations (COVID-19 Edition)
- At Shawnee Heights Middle School, we will intend to end practices at 4:30 at the earliest and 4:45 at the latest.
- Students will be picked up at 4:45 at the North Gym doors.
- If a student is not picked up by 5:00 from the North Gym doors, he or she will have to wait at the tennis courts. This will allow us to stagger pick-up times with volleyball and football.
- Once school ends, the students will go to the tennis courts outside of the North Gym. The tennis courts will have spaces for each student, and the spaces will respect social distancing. If the tennis courts do not meet our needs, we will readjust during the season.
- All students need to have a mask that they can wear when they are not training.
- We will not be utilizing the track this year for training due to the fact that it is incredibly difficult to practice social distancing on the track.
- If your athlete is not at school but comes to practice, it will be expected that the athlete is dressed and ready to compete when he or she comes to school.
- For instance, if it is a Group A day (Monday or Tuesday) and your athlete is a part of Group B (Thursday or Friday), it is expected that your athlete will be dressed out when he or she comes to practice.
- All athletes will be placed in pods of groups of four-six athletes. This will allow our athletes to run with athletes of similar times, and it will allow us to practice social distancing.
- The pods can change over the course of the year due to changing times of our athletes.
- If your athlete can come to school dressed for practice, it would be greatly appreciated.
- This is not required but just appreciated.
- I (Zach Walker) will disperse workouts to all athletes this year via paper and through online methods. Typically, I do not know follow this method of providing access to my workouts to everyone, but I think that this year, it will be appropriate because if an athlete misses a workout due to being quarantined/cannot make it to school, it will provide the athlete with a chance to complete his or her workout on his or her own.
- We will have a parent meeting before our first meet where we will discuss meets, expectations, etc.
- Please keep in mind that these rules and expectations might change as the year progresses. As our understanding of the best practices to navigate sports grows, we may need to change our plans to reflect the needs of our athletes.
Shawnee Heights 2020 Cross Country Covis-19 Mitigation Guidelines
The Shawnee Heights XC teams will follow the guidelines set forth by the Kansas State High School Athletic Association along with the Shawnee County and USD #450 recommendations. Each person’s safety will be a priority at all times, with the goal of providing a safe and healthy volleyball environment this fall in the face of the Covid-19 pandemic. In addition to the KSHSAA guidelines, here are considerations and recommendations of our program.
- Players will be screened daily for symptoms related to Covid-19.
- Players, coaches and managers will wear a face covering while maintaining any possible social distance.
- Coaches will stress 6-foot social distancing in all drills and activities when possible.
- Players, coaches and managers will wash hands before, frequently during, and after each practice session and game. Either coaches or managers will be equipped with hand sanitizer to distribute to players on breaks throughout practice and games.
- Players, coaches and managers must check in prior to participating. Each person will complete the KSHSAA Covid-19 form. Screening will be done by answering yes or no to a series of symptoms. If no, then they must have their temperature scanned upon check in. Their temperature will be recorded on the form. Any player with an elevated temperature above 100.4 degrees will be sent home.
- To return to play, the quarantine person will need to have been fever and symptom free for 72 hours or have received two negative test 72 hours apart.
LOCKER ROOMS CONSIDERATIONS:
- We will stagger the times that student-athletes have access to the locker room.
- Coaches, athletes and manages will wear face covering inside the locker room practicing as much social distancing as possible.
- Coaches and managers wear masks all the time. Coaches may lower mask to communicate if social distancing is met.
- Players, coaches and managers will provide their own water bottle.
- In any drill, we recommend the lines maintain social distance while waiting their turn.
- Hand sanitizer will be available before and after practice.
- Players, coaches and managers will be urged to continue practicing good personal hygiene by washing their hands and not touching their faces.
GAME DAY CONSIDERATIONS:
- Coaches and managers wear masks all the time. Players will wear mask unless drinking water.
- Social distancing precautions (maintaining 6 foot apart), good hygiene will be used during the game.
- Team tents at meets will be for runners only. Parents needing to talk with their runners will need to do this away from the tent.
- Transportation: masks will be required for all traveling on the bus-coaches, managers, players and drivers. One player per seat per bus. This will limit the number of runners who travel to meets.
SHMS Assistant Principal/AD
|Cross Country 2020|
|Sept. 3||Jefferson West||Shawnee North CC||4:00 PM|
|Sept. 16||Seaman||Shawnee North CC||3:30 PM|
|Sept. 10||Fort Riley||Fort Riley||4:00 PM|
|Sept. 18||Manhattan Anthony||Anneberg/Warner Park||2:00 PM|
|Sept. 22||Shawnee Heights||Home||4:00 PM||HOME|
|Sept. 30||Perry (JV)||Lake Perry||4:00 PM|
|Oct. 2||League Junction City (V)||Milford State Park||2:00 PM|
|Sept. 29||Rock Creek||Rock Creek High School||4:00 PM|